On this page you will find official information about the Youth Mobility visa.
This visa is the result of a Memorandum of Understanding that Chile and Canada signed in 2008 in order for young people from both countries to have more opportunities to travel with the right to study and work for one year in the other country and being able to acquire university or post-secondary technical professional education, work and practice experience in work environment, as well as to develop their knowledge of languages, culture and society of the other country.
There is a reciprocal quota of 750 visas to be assigned every year between January and December.
Listed below are the basic visa requirements for Canadians traveling to Chile to be eligible in the framework of the MOU on Youth Mobility:
- BE A CANADIAN CITIZEN
- AGE BETWEEN 18 AND 35 YEARS BY THE DATE IN WHICH THE APPLICATION IS FILED
- APPLICANT’S LETTER ADRESSED TO THE CHILEAN CONSULATE INTRODUCING HIM/HERSELF INDICATING THAT A VISA REGARDING THIS MOU IS REQUESTED, AND ALSO INDICATING THE REASON OF TRAVEL TO CHILE (if already pre-registered or registered in an institution; if there is already a work contract; or if the request is for tourism purposes, or cultural interest, and if there is intention to work with compensation to supplement stay)
- VALID PASSPORT (valid at least for the term of the visa -one year-)
- HEALTH CERTIFICATE (Medical Certificate from a recognized Institution in Canada, stating that the applicant’s health condition is compatible with the activity to be carried out in Chile)
- CLEAN CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK. (No record showed)
- PROOF OF ECONOMIC SOLVENCY
- ROUND TICKET TO AND FROM CHILE WITHIN A YEAR
- FULL MEDICAL INSURANCE
- ONE RECENT PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPH
This visa is valid for a maximum of one year upon entry to Chile but the applicant must arrive no later than 90 days from the date the visa is issued at the Chilean Consulate.
The cost of the visa is US$ 135.00
Applicants interested in obtaining a visa under the Youth Mobility MOU may contact the nearest Chilean Consulate in their area by phone or email to request an appointment to apply in person.
Alternatively, they may apply online at the following web site, selecting in the online form the nearest Chilean Consulate in their residence area for submitting their request:
Please notice that the application process requires an applicant’s interview. In case of online application, the interview can be done online. Original documentation that supports the visa application must be presented at the Chilean Consulate once the visa is approved.
The applicant’s presence will be required at the Chilean Consulate once the visa is approved, in order to pay the visa fee and have the passport stamped.
The following is a list of the cities, telephone numbers and e-mails of our consulates in Canada for further questions:
Montreal: Telephone (514) 499-0405 e-mail: email@example.com
Toronto: Telephone (416) 924-0106 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ottawa: Telephone (613) 235-4402 e-mail: email@example.com
Vancouver: Telephone (604) 681-9162 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The processing time for visas is about one month from the date a complete application package is received.