The first contacts between both countries were established at a consular level in 1825, when José Antonio Herrera was appointed Consul of Chile in Mexico, holding that position until 1829 and Mateo Magaña, Consul in Mazatlan in 1875. The Mexican government, in turn, appointed Pedro Garmendia as Consul in Valparaiso on 5 February 1844.
At a diplomatic level, Chile made a first attempt of appointing a new representative to the Mexican government in 1829, when Juan Campino, Minister Plenipotentiary to the United States, was instructed to serve in the same capacity in Mexico and Central America. However, it seems like he never assumed his duties since the following year, in 23 July 1830, he was instructed to return to Chile when he was still in the United States.
Chile and Mexico signed the Treaty of Friendship, Trade and Navigation on 7 March 1831. The treaty was signed on behalf of Mexico by Vice President Miguel Ramos Arizpe, and on behalf of Chile by Joaquin Campino.
By early 1834, the Mexican representative Juan de Dios Cañedo arrived in Chile with the mission to promote a conference that would gather all Latin American countries. That meeting was held in Mexico.
In 1862, the Chilean authorities appointed Francis Astaburuaga as Charge d'Affairs, in order to establish relations with the government of Benito Juárez, but on 30 September 1863 he was instructed to leave the country due to internal political problems.
In 1881, Adolfo Carrasco Albano served as Chargé d'Affairs to the governments of Mexico and in Central America, where he was later replaced by Minister Plenipotentiary Domingo Gana Cruz in 1882
Thereafter, the representatives of Chile to the Mexican government have been: