Mr. Cristian Barros
Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative
Ambassador Barros was born in Santiago, Chile, on October 19, 1952. He is married to Mary Florence Mitchell Nielsen, one son. He studied at San Gabriel and Sagrados Corazones schools. After completing his secondary education, he studied at the Law School of Universidad de Chile and graduated from the Andres Bello Diplomatic Academy.
On 16 April, 2014, Ambassador Barros began his duties as the Permanent Representative of Chile to the United Nations.
- 1974 Joins the Foreign Service, Consular Division;
- 1975-1978 Legal Affairs Directorate;
- 1978-1979 General Directorate for Administrative Affairs;
- 1979 Deputy Consul in Mendoza, Argentina;
- 1980-1983 Consul of Chile in Bariloche, Argentina;
- 1983-1985 America Department of the Directorate of Bilateral Policy;
- 1985-1989 Consul in Chicago, U.S.;
- 1989-1990 First Secretary of the Embassy of Chile in Canada;
- 1990 Head of Cabinet of the Director-General for Foreign Policy;
- 1991 Staff Director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- 1992-1993 Ambassador, Director General for Administrative Affairs;
- 1993-1996 Ambassador of Chile to Denmark;
- 1996-1998 Director-General for Administrative Affairs;
- 1998-1999 Director-General for Foreign Policy;
- 2000-2002 Ambassador of Chile to the United Kingdom; concurrent to Ireland;
- 2002-2006 Undersecretary (Vice Minister) for Foreign Affairs;
- 2006-2008 Ambassador of Chile to Peru;
- 2008-2010 Ambassador of Chile to Italy; concurrent to Malta;
- 2008-2010 Permanent Representative of Chile to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome;
- 2010- 2014 Ambassador to India; concurrent to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- 2014 – Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Chile to the United Nations
- 2014 – Ambassador of Chile to the Islamic Republic of Iran (Non – Resident)
- Grand Cross of the Order of Merit, Portugal.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog, Denmark.
- Grand Cross of the Order of May, Republic of Argentina.
- Grand Cross of Merit, Brazil.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun, Peru.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau, the Netherlands.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, Spain.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator San Martin, Argentina.
- Grand Officer of the Wissam Al Alaoui, Kingdom of Morocco.
- Order of Service Merit, Korea.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, Panama
Mr. Carlos Olguín
Deputy Permanent Representative to the Permanent Mission of Chile to the U.N.
- Director of Planning at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2013-2014)
- Director of Multi-Lateral Policy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2012)
- Minister Counsellor at the Embassy of Chile in Argentina (2006-2011)
Embassy of Chile in People’s Republic of China, United States (OAS), Mexico and France
- Analyst of the Asia/Pacific Department
- Analyst of the South American Department
- Head of the Peru-Bolivia Department
- Deputy Director of the South American Region
- Degree from Andres Bello Diplomatic Academy
- Master in International Politics studies from ULB-Belgium
- Studies in International Economic Negotiations School of Government University of Chile
- Licensed in Security and Defense from the national Academy of Political and Strategic Studies from Chile.
- Master in Political Science Security and Defense from the National Academy of Political and Strategic Studies in Chile
- Member of the Chilean Negotiating Team for the Execution of the Treaty
of 1929 between Chile and Peru, 1999
- Member of the Negotiating Team for the Maipu Treaty of Integration and
Cooperation between Chile and Argentina, 2009
- Officer of the Order of the Sun of Peru
- Knight of the National Order of Merit of Ecuador
- Official High Order of General San Martin, Argentina
- Recognition awards for 20 and 30 years of service in the Diplomatic Service of Chile
- English and French