Sr. Cristian Barros
- Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent RepresentativeEmail:
Ambassador Barros was born in Santiago, Chile, on October 19, 1952. He is married to Mary Florence Mitchell Nielsen, one son. He studied at San Gabriel and Sagrados Corazones schools. After completing his secondary education, he studied at the Law School of Universidad de Chile and graduated from the Andres Bello Diplomatic Academy.
On 16 April, 2014, Ambassador Barros began his duties as the Permanent Representative of Chile to the United Nations.
- 1974 Joins the Foreign Service, Consular Division;
- 1975-1978 Legal Affairs Directorate;
- 1978-1979 General Directorate for Administrative Affairs;
- 1979 Deputy Consul in Mendoza, Argentina;
- 1980-1983 Consul of Chile in Bariloche, Argentina;
- 1983-1985 America Department of the Directorate of Bilateral Policy;
- 1985-1989 Consul in Chicago, U.S.;
- 1989-1990 First Secretary of the Embassy of Chile in Canada;
- 1990 Head of Cabinet of the Director-General for Foreign Policy;
- 1991 Staff Director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- 1992-1993 Ambassador, Director General for Administrative Affairs;
- 1993-1996 Ambassador of Chile to Denmark;
- 1996-1998 Director-General for Administrative Affairs;
- 1998-1999 Director-General for Foreign Policy;
- 2000-2002 Ambassador of Chile to the United Kingdom; concurrent to Ireland;
- 2002-2006 Undersecretary (Vice Minister) for Foreign Affairs;
- 2006-2008 Ambassador of Chile to Peru;
- 2008-2010 Ambassador of Chile to Italy; concurrent to Malta;
- 2008-2010 Permanent Representative of Chile to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome;
- 2010- 2014 Ambassador to India; concurrent to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- 2014 – Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Chile to the United Nations
- 2014 – Ambassador of Chile to the Islamic Republic of Iran (Non – Resident)
- Grand Cross of the Order of Merit, Portugal.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog, Denmark.
- Grand Cross of the Order of May, Republic of Argentina.
- Grand Cross of Merit, Brazil.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun, Peru.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau, the Netherlands.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, Spain.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator San Martin, Argentina.
- Grand Officer of the Wissam Al Alaoui, Kingdom of Morocco.
- Order of Service Merit, Korea.
- Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, Panama