The consular functions are determined by the Convention of Vienna on Consular Relations of 1967 and the Consular Regulation of Chile, Decree Law Nº 172 of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Some of the functions incumbent on our Consuls are the following:
- Protecting in the Receiving State the rights and interests of the State of Chile and its nationals, both individuals and bodies corporate, within the limits permitted by International Law;
- Acting as Notary Public;
- Issuing passports and travel documents to Chilean nationals of its circumscription or passing by;
- Helping and assisting helpless nationals;
- Safeguarding the interests of nationals, both individuals and bodies corporate; safeguard the interests of minors.
- Safeguarding the fair and equal treatment of nationals within the receiving State, if applicable;
- Transmitting judicial and extrajudicial documents or executing letters