Most significant bilateral activities from 2007 to date.
- Meeting at the Embassy with the Secretary of State, Dr. Condoleezza Rice and Latin American ambassadors accredited to the U.S., March 23. Organized by the Embassy, its aim was to analyze the relation of the United States with the region.
- Carrying out of the VI Meeting of the Consultative Committee on Political and Strategic Affairs (CCAPE, in Spanish). Department of State, March 12 and 13.
- VII meeting of the Consultative Committee on Defense between Chile and the U.S. (CCD) held at The Pentagon, Washington D.C., June 12 and 14. The meeting dealt with global and regional security, the maintenance of peace and military, science and technology cooperation.
- Official visit to Chile of the U.S. Treasury Secretary, Henry Paulson, July 13. Carried out within a regional-level visit.
- Official visit to Chile of the U.S. Secretary of Education, Margaret Spelling, August 20 and 21. On this occasion, Secretary Spelling traveled to Chile accompanied by a group of chancellors from American universities within the framework of the U.S.-Chile Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program.
- Official visit to Chile of the U.S. Secretary, Robert Gales. October 4 and 5.
- Official visit, conferences and meetings of Ambassador Fernández., held in San Diego, California, March 15 and 16. Keynote speaker at program organized by the Institute of the Americas and by the San Diego World Affairs Council.
- Visit of Ambassador Fernández to Utah (conferences and meetings). April 18 and 19. Work meetings with local authorities and with presidents of companies mainly related to mining in Salt Lake City and its environs.
- Official visit and meetings of Ambassador Fernández in Los Angeles, April 19 and 20. Met with the authorities of the Port of Los Angeles and spoke at the Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles. Promotional event of Chilean products and conferences given by Ambassador Fernández at University of California (UCLA Anderson School of Management).
- Official visit and meeting of Ambassador Fernández with Senator Max Baucus in Montana, April 28 to 30. In the cities of Billings, Bozeman and Butte, Ambassador Fernández met with entrepreneurial leaders of the agricultural, industrial and mining sectors, participated in the Panel of Ambassadors of the Economic Development Summit; held work meetings with Senator Baucus.
- Official Visit of the M.C. Fernando Varela to the state of Iowa, August 13 to 17. Minister Counselor Varela held several meetings together with the Republican Senator of Iowa, Charles E. Grassley.
- Official visits, meetings and conferences of Ambassador Fernández in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and San Francisco (CA), October 3 to 10. Accompanied the visit of School Ship Esmeralda and established contacts with Hawaiian entities. It was in California where the idea of the Chile-California Partnership for the 21st Century started to take shape.
- Official visit, meetings, interviews and conferences of Ambassador Fernández in Puerto Rico, November 4 to 6. Met with the Governor of Puerto Rico and local entrepreneurs. Visited the President of the local Senate, Kenneth McClinton.
- Official visit and meetings of Ambassador Fernández to Miami, November 8 to11. Was interviewed by a journalist from The Miami Herald, Andres Oppenheimer. Met with Mario Kreutzberger. Spoke to students enrolled at the School of Management of University Adolfo Ibañez.
- Carried out a conference and photography exhibition of Fernando Luchsinger based on the project of scientific research of marine species of Easter Island, May 24.
- Official visit of Ambassador Fernández to South Carolina, March 20 and 23. Met with Governor Mark Sanford and the Secretary of Commerce, Fred Taylor. Presentations at the University of South Carolina and participation in the Seminar of Investments and Business was organized by the College of Charleston.
- Official visit of the Minister of National Defense, José Goñi, April 6-9, by invitation of the Secretary of Defense of the United States. Signed a Cooperation Agreement between both ministries. The Chilean Minister met with the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, and with Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice.
- Official visit, conference and meetings of Ambassador Fernández in Arizona, April 16 – 19. Fernández was the keynote speaker at the Phoenix Committee on Foreign Relations dinner.
Official visits of H.E. Dr. Michelle Bachelet, President of the Republic of Chile to the United States during 2008.
California, June 12-13. President Bachelet subscribed the California-Chile Partnership for the 21st Century. Held meetings with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and high authorities of the State of California.
Delivered conferences before the California Legislative Assembly, the Chamber of Commerce of California and University of California, Davis (UCD) and UC Berkeley.
Boston, September 23. On occasion of her participation at the United Nations General Assembly in New York, President Bachelet traveled to the state of Massachusetts to decorate Senator Kennedy and deliver a conference at Harvard University (Kennedy School of Government).
- Official Visit to Washington DC by the Energy Minister Marcelo Tokman, April 7, 2008. Met with Ambassador Craig Kelly and also with the Secretary of Energy, Samuel Bodman. Additionally met with the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy, Dennis Spurgeon and afterwards with the Board of Directors of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- Monitored the meetings of the Community of Democracies Convening Group (periodic meetings took place during 2007 and 2008).
- Published the book "Visions from Finis Terrae: Chilean Voices in the United States", September 2008. The volume includes articles based on presentations of male and female Chilean nationals who have visited the U.S. in the last two years, showing a national perspective on several matters.
- Seminar on Investment in the Chilean Agri-Industrial Sector (October). The meeting was part of a program of activities directed towards fostering U.S. investment in our country.
- National Parks of the U.S. and Chile Conference, November 6-7. The Embassy prepared this meeting as a follow-up of the activities established in the work program of the Environmental Cooperation Agreement between Chile and the U.S.
Bestowal of Decorations
2007 and 2008
- To the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Department of State, Ambassador Charles Shapiro. Commander of the Order of Merit, May 15, 2007.
- To U.S. Senator Richard Lugar. Grand Cross of Bernardo O'Higgins Decoration, June 25, 2007.
- To U.S. Senator Robert Menéndez. Grand Cross of Bernardo O'Higgins Decoration, June 26, 2007.
- To Ms. Doris Atkinson. Grand Cross of Bernardo O'Higgins Decoration, December 3, 2007.
- To Professor Saul Landau. Commander of the Bernardo O'Higgins Decoration.
- To Senator Edward Kennedy. H.E., President Bachelet decorated Senator Kennedy with the Grand Cross of the Bernardo O'Higgins Decoration, September 23, 2008.