Consulate General of Chile San Francisco
870 Market Street, Suite 1058, San Francisco, California 94102
Phone: +1(415) 982-7662 / +1(415) 982-7665 Fax: +1(415) 982-2384
In Person Appts: 8:30am-1:30pm
Phone Hours: 1:30-3:30pm
Consular Registration of Marriage is the recognition by the Civil Registry of Chile of a marriage that has taken place abroad, where one or both spouses are Chilean citizens, and their wish is for the matrimony to be recognized in accordance with the Chilean Civil Matrimony law.
Procedures at the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco:
- The request must be presented by at least one of the applicants.
- The applicant must have Chilean citizenship.
- In order to start the process, the following documents (in PDF format) must be sent by e-mail to Ms. Jacqueline Jorquera Lorca at email@example.com :
- Consular Service Form completed.
- An original Marriage Certificate sent by an authority within the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco, and an unofficial Spanish translation.
- A valid Chilean ID, passport, or birth certificate of the Chilean spouses.
- A valid passport or driver's license, and a birth certificate of foreign spouse when necessary.
- During the appointment, the applicants shall choose a type of Patrimonial Regiment. In the case that Heritage of Communal Property or Marital Participation is chosen, both applicants must be present and sign the agreement. However, if only one applicant registers the marriage, the patrimonial regiment will be a total Separation of Goods.
- If needed, any additional requirements will be requested by e-mail.
- In the case that one of the spouses dies, the survivor can request the registration without the Patrimonial Regiment as an option. In order for that to happen, the original death certificate must be presented and translated.
- The registration must be signed personally by the person with Chilean citizenship. The appointment for this will be declared by the Consul's secretary and all the original documents, plus one copy, must be presented. The originals will be returned except the marriage certificate which will be sent to Chile in order to finish the process.
- The registration costs US$5.00.- (Five dollars). Fees for procedures at the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco must be paid at the Consulate with debit or credit card VISA, MASTERCARD or DISCOVER. The Consulate General in San Francisco also accepts payments by Money Order issued by the U.S. Postal Service payable to "CONSULATE GENERAL OF CHILE". The Consulate General does not accept wire transfers, personal checks or any form of cash.
- The applicant should be aware that the procedure for this document will be of around one hour on the date of their appointment. They should also consider that it will take approximately 3 to 6 months for the Civil Registry to register the marriage. The Marriage Book must be picked up at the Civil Registry office in Chile.
For further questions contact Ms. Jacqueline Jorquera at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call to +1 (415) 982-7665, preferably between 1:30- 3:30 pm