Orfebrería Mapuche, Artesanías de Chile
You are in:
  • Home/
  • Temporary Resident Holder Visa Requirements and Application

Temporary Resident Holder Visa Requirements and Application

Tuesday, December 11 2018

Consulate General of Chile San Francisco

870 Market Street, Suite 1058, San Francisco, California 94102

Phone: +1(415) 982-7662 / +1(415) 982-7665 Fax: +1(415) 982-2384

Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm

In Person Appts: 8:30am-1:30pm

Phone Hours: 2:30-4:30pm


  • In order to initiate an online visa application, please register at the Consular Service System (SAC), and attach all the required documents listed below.
  • Fees for procedures at the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco must be paid at the Consulate with debit or credit card VISA, MASTERCARD or DISCOVER. The Consulate General in San Francisco also accepts payments by Money Order issued by the U.S. Postal Service payable to "CONSULATE GENERAL OF CHILE". The Consulate General does not accept wire transfers, personal checks or any form of cash.
  • The visa process could take approximately eight to ten weeks. The process may be longer during peak seasons.
  • The Consulate will provide you with an appointment time to pick up your visa. Passport holders must appear in person at the Consulate, and bring all the original documents.


  1. Completed Application Form
  2. One photograph taken within the past six months, full face, front view, white background, size two inches by two inches.
  3. Copy of your valid passport (18 months minimum validity).
  4. Aliens must bring proof of legal residence in the U.S.A.
  5. Copy of your driver ́s license.
  6. Health certificate or a letter from your regular health provider stating that your are in good health with no venereal or contagious diseases. We do not provide a certificate form.
  7. Police letter of good conduct (Report from the Criminal Record Department.) No older than three months previous to the visa application date. Children under 12 years old are exempt from this requirement.
  8. Original F.B.I. Criminal Record (With seal from Biometric Services Section).
  9. Include an emergency phone number in the application form.
  10. List of countries visited in the last 5 years indicating: Year + Countries. If you have not visited any country, please state so in the application form.

Note that in addition to the general requirements, there are also specific requirements for Temporary Resident, Contractor, Student or Dependent Visas.


  1. Letter explaining why you would like to live in Chile.
  2. Proof of means of support during your permanency in Chile (Financial statement, bank statement, health insurance, and/or properties.)
  3. Applicants for English Open Door Program (EOP) shall present the sheriff background check instead of the FBI background check.
  4. Startup applicants shall present the State Police background check instead of the FBI background check.


  1. A letter from the employer duly notarized (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Justice).
  2. Copy of the contract duly notarized ((Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Justice) stating address of employer in Chile, and commitment to pay return expenses of the employee and family upon completion of the contract.
  3. If the employer does not have legal residence in Chile, we can only issue a Temporary Resident Holder Visa.


  1. Proof of means of support during your permanency in Chile including your last bank statement. If your parents are going to provide financial support, you must bring a notarized letter from your parents stating that they will be responsible for your permanency in Chile, their last bank statement, a letter from your parent's employer (position, years employed at current employer, and annual salary), and a copy of their pay statement.
  2. Enrollment Certificate issued by your School or University. If it applies, you could add a letter of Student Interchange Program in the U.S.A.. The student must attend classes within our jurisdiction: Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon,northern California or northern Nevada.
  3. Enrollment Certificate issued by the School or University in Chile. It must be a signed letter.
  4. If you are a student under 18 years old and would be unaccompanied by your parents, you must bring a written authorization to leave Chile from both parents. This authorization could be preferably issued at the Chilean Consulate, or alternatively could be notarized and certificated by County Clerk or the Secretary of State, who must certify the notary's signature.
  5. Applicants could submit the State Police Report instead of the FBI background check. Similarly, applicant students of the State of California could submit a State Department of Justice Report.


  1. Letter from the primary visa holder requesting the dependent visa.
  2. Original Marriage Certificate, if applicable.
  3. Original Birth Certificate if applicable.

For further questions contact Mr. Alexis Zuñiga at azunigab@minrel.gob.cl

or call to +1 (415) 982-7665 preferably between 2:30- 4:30 pm

Where are we?

870 Market Street, Suite 1058, San Francisco, CA 94102

Teléfono: +1(415) 982 7662 / +1 (415) 982 7665

Fax: +1(415) 982 2384

Correo Electrónico: sanfrancisco@ consulado.gob.cl